These commands that I give to you today are to be upon your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. -Deuteronomy 6:6-7

Sunday, February 24, 2013

Our Family is Growing

Yes, that's right. Our family of 6 is going to be growing very soon! But, it's not what you think. There is no little life growing inside of my uterus. But certainly a life or two have begun growing and enlarging my heart. We are going to become a foster family! 

We are all so excited at the prospect of caring for little ones who need a loving home for a little while or a long while. I have watched my dear friend, Angie, and her family for the last 13 months on this journey of fostering. I have seen the ups and downs. You know that saying about standing "on the shoulders of giants"? Well, Angie is my "giant." Because of her testimony I can see the way ahead. Her faith is gigantic. Her love and compassion are huge. And she is so real about it all. I know this is going to be hard because I have seen it in Angie's family. But, I have also seen that our God is faithful. He will not leave us alone.

Since I was young, I have wanted to foster or adopt a child. I think the first memory I have of this longing was from when I was about 15 years old. I worked at a convenient store and the sweetest little girl with big dark eyes and messy hair stole my heart every time she came in. She was always so dirty and the rumor was that she wasn't taken care of very well. I used to grab her up every time she came in and hug her and talk to her. A coworker even said to me one time, with a look of disgust on her face, "She probably has lice." I didn't care. That little girl needed to be held. I would get her candy and charge it to my account. I really wanted to take her home, wash her dirty body and hair, and take care of her.

As I've grown, these feelings make much more sense to me. There is a new clarity to them because of my walk with Christ. Who else, if not the Christian, can understand the worth of every single life? Dirty or not? Who else, if not the Christian, can fully comprehend our Savior's heart for those who can't defend themselves? The orphan and the widow? Who else, if not the Christian, has the unnatural qualities of compassion and selflessness that this kind of giving might take?

I went to college first majoring in child psychology and later changing to social work and eventually graduating with a degree in Sociology. All of this with plans of working with children in need in some way. I have been guilty of sometimes wondering if my education was a waste of time. I have no plans to join the workforce anytime soon. But, now I at least understand why my heart has leaned this way for so long.

For the past few months we have filled out a mountain of paperwork, exposed the financial details of our family, had medical checkups for all members of our family, found a few friends and family to give us references, been fingerprinted and had a complete home study done. The only thing we lack is our training class. We will attend these in 2 weeks. We plan to take in children who are not yet school age. We have made room in Stephen's room for one boy. We have made room in the girls room for one girl. Our bedroom has room for a baby 12 months or younger.

We are truly excited at what God has in store for our family. Please be in prayer for us!

4 comments:

  1. You are an amazing woman. I am so truly thankful and blessed to call you my sil.love you guys

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome, will be praying for you guys!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that is great news. you will be a great foster Mom. I have faith you and your family will be very blessed

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Sherrie...very well said. I know the kids that come to live with your family (for however long that may be), will be very blessed. On the other hand you all will probably be even more blessed!!! Some how when we give it brings us much more joy just to do so. That is just the way our "Father" intended it to be. :) God bless you all on this journey. Love, Vickey L.

    ReplyDelete