These commands that I give to you today are to be upon your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. -Deuteronomy 6:6-7

Friday, January 1, 2010

Fail to Plan. Plan to Fail.

Happy New Years everyone! Well, it is that time of year to evaluate your life and plan for changes that need to be made. Many scoff at the new year's resolution, but whether this time of remembrance happens around January 1st or some other date...it NEEDS to happen. As Socrates said "An unexamined life is not worth living." Scripture encourages us also to examine our lives.

Lamentations 3:40 "Let us examine our lives and test them, and let us return to the Lord."

Before taking the Lord's supper: 1 Corinthians 11:28 "A man ought to examine himself before he eats of the bread and drinks of the cup."

Psalm 4:4 "When you are in your anger do not sin, when you are on your beds, search your hearts and be silent."

So it seems that introspection and examination are things which should be done. If I never take the time to stop and really think about what I am doing and why I am doing it then I run a great risk. It breeds complacency in all areas of life. So in this spirit, I have made some goals for 2010.

Spiritual:
Read through the Bible this year with my children. We printed off a schedule from www.discipleshipjournal.com and have already begun. Our school curriculum is completely Bible-centered but I felt like it was important to set this example of systematically reading through God's Word.

Memorize some significant portions of scripture. I intend to use Scott's memorization plan he created but I don't have a link to it.

Intellectually:
I intend to read at least one book per month. So far I have begun a re-read of Mere Christianity which will be my January book.

Physically:
Lose weight. Eat healthier. Drink more water. I have a plan to start swimming with my friend Jennifer twice a week. I bought some super cute running shoes with some of my Christmas money and the laces even say "Shut up and run!". I still lack the motivation to use these for their intended purpose. However, I now lack my main excuse for not walking or jogging...good shoes.

Financially:
GET OUT OF DEBT! I intend to buckle down on our budget and get out of debt in 2010. Jay and I recently have some big ideas for our family's future and this is the first step. How exciting!

There is so much more I need to do. But for now, these are my goals!

Sherrie

2 comments:

  1. I'm right there with you with the exercising more and getting out of debt. I didn't make New years resolutions they're more like my mid-January resolutions. It's amazing how the two go hand in hand! Disciple in one lends itself to discipline in the other. I'm in week 3 of Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace University; a friend of mine and I attend a weekly Wednesday night class at a local church. I'm excited to start seeing the difference it'll make!

    Reading isn't a problem for me at all! My issue is I seem to be stuck in a non-fiction rut. My goal, which I'm not achieving, is to read more non-fiction.

    Oh, if you are a C.S. Lewis fan, my favorites of his (in no particular order) are: "A Grief Observed," "Til We Have Faces" (probably my top favorite of his), and "The Great Divorce." You might like them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with your goals, Rachael! I would love to attend a Dave Ramsey workshop. It isn't the same to just read about his program. Glad you get to go to that! I had never heard of "Til we have faces" until a few weeks ago and now I keep seeing it everywhere. I am completely intrigued. Must purchase soon!

    ReplyDelete