These commands that I give to you today are to be upon your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. -Deuteronomy 6:6-7

Thursday, January 7, 2010

My Children's Goals...

One of the things that I love about teaching my children is the flexibility. This flexibility allows us to follow their interests and natural curiosities on a daily basis. We often find ourselves chasing rabbit trails in our school day. This is my favorite part, though! When you see a little wrinkled brow and faraway look in their eyes and then sure enough out comes a question! Children still lack so much knowledge and we often dismiss their questions as irrelevant. Those queries are certainly relevant to them, however. And we should never miss the opportunity to help them find the answer! So,at the end of December, I set the kids down and we talked about the beginning of a new year. I asked them, "If we could learn about anything at all, what would you want to learn about?" Here are their answers:

Stephen's list:
  • How to build buildings-design and construction he said on further examination
  • How to build a robot
  • How to build a one-man jet
  • Find out about Camelot and King Arthur
  • How do air ducts and air handlers work?
  • How to build a catapault or cannon with Dad (apparently he lacks faith in my abilities in this matter...)
  • Learn more history of the Bible

Cortney's List

  • Learn about all the different countries
  • How do lightbulbs work?
  • How to do really fancy embroidery (she said with big eyes and hand motions) I guess she is bored with the one stitch I have taught her.
  • Learn more about the Bible.
  • How could I make a lava lamp?
  • How do they make stereos, dvd players, tv's and radios?

So, I am working on ways to incorporate these things in our day and get their questions answered. If you have any ideas for me, let me know!

Sherrie

3 comments:

  1. Sherri I think this are some great ideas sounds like you will be busy just thought I clue you in on Jerry Reding has a catapault he built out at the farm you need to call him up he's in the phone book I'm sure he would be helpful to you lots of things to learned on the Reding Farms he's been doing a maize the last two years your famly should check it out next year but call him on the other I know he would be more than happy to help on that one and alot easier for you

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do a Children's Program at the library, and just attended a workshop with some really great science ideas -- sounds like the kiddos really like science, which is awesome. You should checkout the author, Janice VanCleave! She has some really easy and cool science experiments. Here's a list of her books on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=node%3D4&field-keywords=janice+vancleave&x=0&y=0

    Here's her website: http://scienceprojectideasforkids.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachael,I have heard of her. There are always lots of her books at homeschool convention. However, I have never checked it out. It looks like I need to! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete