These commands that I give to you today are to be upon your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. -Deuteronomy 6:6-7

Sunday, July 25, 2010

Our Big News

On Friday morning we took the kids on a scavenger hunt to tell them some exciting news. They found the first clue lying on the table which led the whole family to their bikes. Attached to their bikes they found clue number 2 which led them to the chapel at USAO. Once there they all searched frantically for clue number 3. Cortney was the victor and was all ready to read the clue when I noticed it was the WRONG clue! Since I was the one responsible for hiding the clues I only had myself to blame. Jay wrote them out, put them in envelopes and wrote on the back where I was to hide them. He couldn't have made it any easier. Anyway, we will just continue on with the story...


Since Jay had all the clues memorized, he just told them the next one. It took us to the playground at 9th and Alabama; specifically it took us to the merry-go-round. Stephen found that one and it sent us back to our home and into the van. Once inside they discovered very detailed directions of where we were supposed to drive. So, they navigated the final leg of our journey and we ended up at Braum's to have ice cream at about 10:30 in the morning. That is some mighty fine parenting, isn't it?



Everyone ordered a treat. Stephen and Cortney got cappuccino chunky chocolate and Maggie got birthday cake. They thought this was the end of the hunt. Then Jay handed Stephen the final clue to read out loud. It said: "Three Evans kids are so much fun, but how much more fun to add another one. In about nine months we will see because Mommy is going to have a baby!"
Stephen started grinning about halfway through the note. Cortney was really thinking hard and at the end she got the biggest smile and said "You mean you are pregnant?" Maggie didn't have much response at Braum's. Once we got home, though, she said "'Are we having a for real live baby?"
We couldn't be more thrilled. We can't wait to meet our newest blessing. I love wondering what the baby's gender will be, what he or she will look like, what kind of personality will he or she have. How will the family dynamics change? Pregnancy and childbirth are life changing, humbling experiences. I am looking forward to the months to come. I pray that God uses them to continue to shape each member of our family. I praise God that He is creating a little one right now inside of me and that his handiwork will soon be evident to all. What an amazing thing!

5 comments:

  1. CONGRATULATIONS!!! I'm so excited for you guys! I was wondering when baby #4 would come, in light of our "3 kids is an odd number" conversations. ;) I hope you're feeling okay during this first trimester. You guys will be in my prayers. Can't wait to meet the new Evans baby!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww!!! I know you already told me the story but it made me cry (again)! I am sooo happy for you and can't wait to see your belly grow and finally meet that beautiful new baby...what an awesome blessing :)
    Love you!
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS Good excuse to update your blog :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Tosha and Jennifer! Praying for you Tosha as your time is growing short! Can't wait to see pics.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Somehow just reading your blog...LOVE IT! What a fun way to tell your kids the news.

    ReplyDelete